0. Quran contains the word divorce almost 17 times and interestingly, not even a single time, this word has been used to command women! Everywhere in Quran, Allah only talks with men about what you should do and what you should not do while divorcing women. This phenomenon of instructing one gender and ignoring other proves that Quran has no provision for women to divorce if they wish. Quran is the biggest slap on the faces of the likes of Zakir Naik, who foolishly claim Islam to be the only fair religion in terms of women rights. Let’s analyze few verses from Quran and explore the dirty game behind divorce.
1. Divorced women shall wait concerning themselves for three monthly periods. Nor is it lawful for them to hide what Allah Hath created in their wombs, if they have faith in Allah and the Last Day. And their husbands have the better right to take them back in that period, if they wish for reconciliation. [Quran, 2:228]
All muslim scholars use this verse to prove that Islam has provision to get a couple reunited even if they have divorced. But they forget to mention that it is the husband, who has right to take wife back and not the wife with the right to take her husband back. In fact wife is not in a picture at all while taking any decision, rather she is just an object, which can be accepted or rejected as per the convenience of husband.
2. So if a husband divorces his wife, He cannot, after that, remarry her until after she has married another husband and He has divorced her. [Quran, 2:230]
One can see the status of woman in Islam, which is no more than a football, nothing to decide for herself, roaming around as per the directions given by men and bound to undergo such inhumane customs. Hadiths and tafseers make amply clear that mere marriage to another husband does not suffice. The wife must have sexual relation with new husband, and only then can she think of returning to original husband after giving the new husband divorce!
3. When ye divorce women, and they fulfill the term of their [‘Iddat], either take them back on equitable terms or set them free. [Quran, 2:231]
Who are men to take or set women free? If men and women both have been given the similar rights, why this verse only talks of man setting free the women and not vice versa?
4. The mothers shall give such to their offspring for two whole years [after divorce], if the father desires to complete the term. But he shall bear the cost of their food and clothing. [Quran, 2:233]
a. According to this verse, child will remain with father and not with mother after divorce.
b. Mother can keep her baby only for two years [after divorce], that too with the permission of his father. One should not think that this 2 year program is because of sympathy for mother. In fact, this is the period, in which, a child needs breast feeding for his/her growth. So mother is paid for this two year program and once, 2 years are over, mother is set free to go anywhere!
5. There is no blame on you if ye divorce women before consummation or the fixation of their dower. [Quran, 2:236]
6. Muhammad said: If any woman asks her husband for divorce without some strong reason, the odour of Paradise will be forbidden to her. (Book #12, Hadith #2218)
a. Another hadith exposing the equal rights of women. Man can divorce a woman by saying “Talaaq”, three times and wife cannot do anything but to go somewhere else in that case. If she is pregnant, she can be appointed by her husband as feeding machine for the coming baby. However, if husband does not want to feed his baby by his/her mother, she will be set free whenever husband wishes!
b. On the other hand, if a woman wants to divorce her husband, she has to prove in the Islamic court with all the evidences and proofs that she has genuine reasons for her desire.
c. Most of the times, woman fails to get divorce as per her wish, since her testimony is considered half than that of man. And if man does not want to give divorce, there is hardly any chance of getting it. In addition to this, woman is abused by her husband, physically and mentally in reply to the attempts made by her against his will. And needless to say, the everlasting fire of hell is ready for her for not satisfying husband!