Q. Pakistan’s aggression against India has always been strongly backed by China. What is China trying to achieve?
Our situation with China is even worse. By the way, Pakistan’s terror factory is an extension of China’s foreign policy to weaken India so that it can never pose challenge to China’s regional supremacy. China supplied nuclear weapons to Pakistan to threaten India from both sides. If one wonders why India did not crush Pakistan after 26/11 or Parliament attack in 2001, it was because of Pakistan’s nuclear program masterminded by China. Now that China has equipped Pakistan with the deadly weapons, both can bleed India with million cuts simultaneously without expecting severe retaliation given India’s soft approach.
And this is no coincidence that tensions on both eastern and western Indian borders are ratcheting up now. Pakistan is carrying out beheadings of our soldiers on LOC whereas China is playing mind games by doing incursions here and there at LAC. China is testing our nerves. Escalating tensions at multiple borders with two nuclear armed enemies is a game being played with India. Purpose is to further soften India, create havoc in common masses and to increase the cost of occupation and securing borders for India to a level where the economy collapses and India disintegrates. But what is our preparation? How are we responding? We are responding by
Hiding our weaknesses in the guise of diplomacy
After 26/11, decapitation of our soldier and recent killings of 5 Jawans at LOC when people demanded tough action against Pakistan, political leaders came out and said that mature nations respond in mature manner. All diplomatic options are open and blah blah. I don’t know which mature nation lets its people and soldiers get killed in such brutal manner in first place. We have named our inability, weakness and softness as diplomacy collectively. There is not even a single year between 2000 and 2013 in which there was no major attack by Pakistani terrorists in India. Have a look-
In 1993- Mumbai Blasts- 257 killed, 1996- Brahmaputra Train Bombing- 33 killed, 1998- Coimbatore blasts- 58 killed, 2000- Terrorists attack on Red Fort- 3 killed, 2001- J&K assembly attack- 38 killed, 2001- Indian parliament attacked- 7 killed, 2002- Akshardham attack- 31 killed, 2003- Mumbai bombings- 90 killed, 2005- Delhi bombing- 70 killed, 2006- Varansai blasts- 21 killed, 2006- Mumbai train blasts- 209 killed, 2007- Hyderabad blasts- 42 killed, 2007- Varanasi, Faizabad blasts- 16 killed, 2008- CRPF camp attack in Rampur- 8 killed, 2008- Jaipur blasts- 63 killed, 2008- Ahmedabad blasts- 29 killed, 2008- Delhi bombings- 21 killed, 2008- 26/11 Mumbai attacks- 239 killed, 2009- Assam bombings- 13 killed, 2010- Pune blasts- 17 killed, 2011- Mumbai bombings- 26 killed, 2011- Delhi bombings- 12 killed, 2013- Hyderabad blasts- 16 killed, 2013- Srinagar attack- 7 killed, 2013- Bangalore blasts- 16 killed.
Diplomacy? Who are we fooling? Diplomacy that cannot defend its people and soldiers inside their own country is waste of time. True diplomacy lies in building covert and overt capabilities to be able to strike the enemy hard so that he knows the price of an Indian’s life. All those planning to bleed us to death through thousand cuts must be sent a message through our preparations that India can bleed them through ten thousand cuts. This has to be the prime goal and direction of our diplomacy. For that we need unprecedented preparations. And we need to recognize our real enemy.
China not Pakistan the real threat
Unpredictable activities by China at LAC that seem silly at times (like this one) to which we have no definite response are happening too often these days. And there is a purpose behind this. Incursions into our land followed by pullbacks, smiling and angry faces of their soldiers at the same time, jokes and daring at the same time speak volumes about their plans. Chinese want to establish themselves as the unpredictable force and an unreadable mind. Message to India is clear, don’t mess with us. We keep kidding you on borders and all you can do is hugging our soldiers and begging us despite having guns on your shoulders.
Main reason why India can’t respond China in tougher tone is that it was preparing all along for an enemy that was only 1/5th its size that could be crushed at any day at any time. Pakistan has been engaging India in terrorist activities and insurgencies for last 65 years. Pakistan created so many troubles for us that it became no. one enemy of ours. Be it masses, media, intellectuals or strategic experts, Pakistan remained the center of talks and discourse. And while all this, we forgot China. I remind a story from Mahabharat in which two not so great warrior brothers from Kaurav Army were deployed only to engage Arjun and get him out of battlefield using tricks so that Kaurav Army giants could capture King Yudhishthir in his absence and win the war.
I can see a similar pattern here. Indian defense was engaged by Pakistan so that it could not prepare itself against the real mightier threat China. Pakistan is a mere vent through which India wastes its emotions, energies and preparations. And while we were busy beating Pakistanis back in wars and insurgencies, China kept building infrastructures in Kashmir and Arunachal along LAC. Now the gap of Indian and Chinese preparations in terms of diplomacy, infrastructures in crucial areas and firepower is immense. In such scenario, what a wishy-washy political establishment can best do is discuss trade and culture with Chinese delegations in New Delhi and leave vital issues of borders to army and successors to handle.
What to do?
Remember that number of enemies and chances of attacks on you are inversely proportional to your muscle size. Always prepare for war in peace time and pray for peace in all times! Thus the immediate steps to be taken are
– Equip defense forces with most advanced weaponry and surveillance
– Aggressive deployment of troops in sensitive strategic points
– Get prepared for a two front war on both Eastern and Western borders. Identify their soft underbellies and be ready to strike them hard in case an open war is inflicted on us. A prior calculation of all their possible military-strategic moves and our respective response is must to ensure that the mess of 1962 is not repeated.
– Raise infrastructure near LAC. Roads and airstrips need to be constructed keeping in mind the Chinese preparations. Special funds in budget be allocated for this. And a significant development in this needs to be done within a year’s time. Because once the US troops leave Afghanistan next year, a heavy wave of Jihadi terrorism will knock our doors in Kashmir. Our focus will again shift to our western borders in that case which will affect our preparations on China border.
– Take localites into confidence on disputes, make sure that they side with us in conflicts.
– Build national consensus over issues of national security.
-Support local people along the LAC in all possible ways. Schools, hospitals, community centers, jobs (especially army recruitments) should be made available for them in huge numbers in order to inculcate a sense of national pride in them so that Chinese claims on our people and territory be made irrelevant.
– Raise voice in UN on human rights issues in Tibet and Baluchistan.
– Raise voice for the freedom of expression and press for Chinese people.
– Help Vietnam, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia and Philippines in South China Sea against the interests of Chinese establishment so that we get in position to negotiate in Ladakh and Arunachal.
– More regular visits of PM and President up to borders of Arunachal Pradesh and Ladakh touching China.
– Honor Dalai Lama every year for being voice of Tibetan people, it hurts Chinese establishment a lot.
– Make strategic pacts with US and Russia. Instead of being neutral and remaining isolated from big powers, let’s help them in their objectives and get help against Chinese aggression in return.
– Build strong intelligence networks and capabilities for covert actions inside the enemy territories.
– Create proxies in Pakistan and China to engage them in low intensity conflicts like they have done to us in Kashmir and North East India through Jihadi groups, Maoist, Naxal and Bodo insurgencies.
Kutaneeti is the need of the hour. World has changed and now is the time we change. We have to be one step ahead of adversaries. We have to do everything to thwart anti Indian designs. Let the world know that every inch of Indian Territory is non negotiable. If enemy is tough, we have to be tougher. If enemy is strong, we have to be lethal. If enemy starts a war, we have to end it. And in this, we have to be smart like Krishna who won every war with mind. Call it Kutaneeti or Krishna Neeti, this alone is Dharma today.