Here is the response to your recent open letter- Why Bajrang Dal activist Prashant Poojary’s murder can’t be compared to the Dadri beef lynching. (Your wife Sagarika Ghose also wrote an almost similar article with similar language. So consider that included in this response.)
Who is comparing the two? All people want is similar anger, zeal and promptness in media lament in Bajrang Dal Activist’s murder by Jihadi groups as was seen in Dadri incident. You fail to explain why you act like a black-cat in Dadri but a pussycat in Moodbidri.
The pseudo-patriots are at it again.
You are nobody to issue certificate of patriotism to anybody. You are a journalist with BA. Not a judge. Don’t make us believe that even that BA degree is fake.
Having behaved disgracefully after the Dadri murder ‒ witness the statements made by leaders that either played down the incident or deliberately stoked hatred ‒ they have now found their voice again.
Talking about grace? Weren’t you the one who tried to exhibit Sunny Deol type machismo on streets of New York when you started pushing/slapping people during Modi’s visit? It is a different matter though that you ended up beaten black and blue, left, right and centre like a petty thief.
And playing down? You raked up the Dadri tragedy to ignite communal fanaticism. You cooked up the story of Muslim persecution out of a stray incident in a remote village and started blaming all 100 crore plus Indians who worship cow as mother. And now when that has led to brutal murder of another innocent by goons emboldened by your coverage, you are writing this letter to explain why you played down this tragedy.
The killing of a Bajrang Dal activist in Moodbidri in Karnataka on Tuesday has sparked off the charge of selective outrage once again: why hasn’t the media covered Moodbidri with the same intensity as Dadri, we are asked. Well, I’ll tell you why.
So you concede Moodbidri was ignored and charges of selective outrage against people like you are true! The only thing you will do now is to justify your selective outrage.
To begin with, any killing is condemnable. But…
How is this different from ‘saffron’ brigade’s take on Dadri that ‘any killing is wrong ‘but’ cow is our mother and its butcher was sinner’?
when we seek to compare two instances without even bothering to examine the political context, we are entering dangerous territory.
- Why must one bother to examine political context when neither Bajrang Dal nor Dadri mob nor Moodbidri mob was political? And if it was ‘political’, does it not make it even more dangerous – now not just lives, but democracy is at stake as well.
- Even if I examine political context, does this make one incident less severe than the other? Or you mean to say that political context dilutes the gravity of any crime?
- Did you ever say that since Godhra train burning by Muslim mob triggered 2002 riots, the reactionary riots must not be called genocide but be examined within religious context? You get a high whining about post-Godhra riots every single day but you get comatose when someone mentions Godhra train burning.
Prashant Poojary was a Bajrang Dal activist in Moodbidri. The Bajrang Dal has self-admittedly used violence as a weapon against minorities (don’t believe me, meet Babu Bajrangi in Gujarat or listen to him in a Tehelka expose).
- If Prashant Poojary was a Bajrang Dal activist, how does this make him worthy of getting killed?
- Why are you acting like Khaap Panchayats or Kangaroo Courts on Bajrang Dal? Or are you funded by Jihadi groups who stone victims after issuing Sharia judgment on roadside. If Bajrang Dal is a terrorist group, go to the court, give evidence and get it banned. But you choose to do worst possible thing- moral policing. Interestingly, it is people like you who accuse groups like Bajrang Dal of moral policing!
- And how does an act of one person become justification of killing of another man from the same organization? If Rajdeep Sardesai misbehaved with Americans in New York, abused them, called them a$$hole, pushed them and got slapped in return, would it be justified if someone harms Sagarika Ghose- the wife of Sardesai and member of his media family citing media context (just like you used political context)?
- Interestingly, you never told people that since Akhlaq of Dadri belonged to the same community that produces ISIS, Al Qaeda, Laden, Hafiz Saeed, Lashkar, Jaish etc that self-admittedly behead and rape people in name of God, his killing must be seen from another context and it is not as severe as killing of a normal human. Why?
- Minorities? Or pseudo-minorities? Dude, we are in 2015 and not 1947 when Muslims were 7% in fragmented India. The community is now 20% of total population of India, majority (above 50%) in 19 districts, fairly dominant (above 20%) in 86 districts. Have you ever heard a news like this- ‘10 people from minority Hindu/Sikh/Christian/Jew groups raped/killed a man of majority community in Pakistan or Bangladesh or Saudi Arabia’ or any other Islamic country in this world? No. Minority that constitutes majority of criminals in jails is certainly not at all a suppressed minority as foolishly claimed by people like you. It only implies that media persons like you are strengthening the criminal and terrorist elements in a dominant community of India. And in process, bringing bad name to the peaceful elements in the community.
- Babu Bajrangi was an individual who is in life imprisonment. How can his statement be considered official voice of Bajrang Dal. Manu Sharma was a Congress leader. Does it mean Congress “self-admittedly” killed Jessica Lal? Tarun Tejpal was a media person with views similar to Rajdeep Sardesai on Bajrang Dal, Gujarat riots, and saffron groups. So by your logic (and in your own words), Hindu-hating media persons like Rajdeep Sardesai use sexual-assault as a weapon against women. (don’t believe me, meet Tarun Tejpal in Goa or listen to complaint lodged against him.)
Poojary has been allegedly involved in cases of intimidation and violence in the region. He was fighting the “beef Mafia” as part of the anti-cow slaughter agitation.
- Allegedly? Look at your third class mindset. Mudslinging against someone who is no more alive to defend himself. Any evidence? You do not even have sentiments for a dead person and continue to spit your “allegations”. This is no different from Islamic fundamentalists who have issued fatwa that Muslims must not say “May Allah show his mercy” for a dead non-Muslim. They use the word “Kafir” for dead non-Muslims which means criminal. You are speaking the same hatred in English.
- You might be the judge and the prosecutor in the Kangaroo court of your imagination but this world doesn’t take you seriously.
- You were ‘allegedly’ found in objectionably compromising position with someone (other than wife) in an ATM booth some years ago. You have ‘allegedly’ bought bungalow worth Rs 50 Crore which is difficult for any other Journalist with BA degree. You have “allegedly” obtained funds from sources that all fund terrorist groups. You have “allegedly” supported terrorists during 26/11 by providing detailed live coverage to terrorists inside Taj. You have ‘allegedly’ grown a donkey-tail on your back. So you must be punished for that, no? Your recipe of making any unproven charges by using the word “allegedly” can have more side-effects for you than those on whom you direct these.
- Cow-slaughter is a criminal offence in Karnataka. So if Prashant was running an anti-cow slaughter campaign, what’s wrong in that? In fact he was a braveheart who was working against criminals and helping the state. Why is this the justification of his murder? Just because you are an ‘alleged’ criminal-mind who is ‘allegedly’ handiwork of Jihadi criminals, whose wife ‘allegedly’ openly states- ‘I ate beef, it was tasty’ just to ‘allegedly’ incite violence and encourage people to break laws doesn’t mean you can start killing people who follow law. You and your family must keep your ‘alleged’ fetish for killing innocents in check.
He didn’t deserve to die under any circumstance but..
This but is coming again and again. It is like saying Sardesai didn’t deserve to get slapped in US in any circumstance but whatever happened was not that bad.
… there is a political context to his death as there would be in Bengal when Trinamool workers clash with cadres of the Communist Party of India (Marxist).
- A man is killed. Now you go to his relatives and tell them that his death happened because of some political context. Imagine someone comes to you and says- Rajdeep, you were beaten by Lakhani Chappal and not by Bata Chappal. So there is Lakhani context to your thrashing in US. Does this make you feel better? Doesn’t the bottom-line remain that you were beaten?
- So when Trinamool and CPI fight, do the courts give reward to one and punishment to other? Or do courts give lesser punishments to one group and harsher to other? What is the point exactly?
- Is it that since you are a proud comrade (perhaps that’s why Trinamool workers clash with CPI and not vice versa!), you want courts to consider political context in favour of CPI?
Poojary was part of a political war between the Bajrang Dal and minority group outfits, some of them with criminal links. Can his killing be compared to Mohammed Akhlaq, an innocent householder whose only crime was that he was the victim of a rumour that he had stored beef and belonged to a particular religion. Naturally, the outrage over a hate crime will be and must be greater in his case.
- Is Bajrang Dal a political party? Are those Muslim outfits that killed Prashant political parties? NO. Then why repeatedly calling their war political?
- Readers will now understand why! Because Mr Sardesai wants to establish that Prashant was killed in a political war which had nothing to do with religion or religious hate. Thus it was not a Hindu killed by a group of fanatic Muslims but a political worker killed by workers of other political party just like Trinamool vs CPI which is normal and acceptable. But on the other hand, Dadri was a hate crime committed against a Muslim by majority Hindu mob. It serves two purposes. Showing Hindus as oppressor majority and Muslims as oppressed minority with no rights in India. Accusing Hindus of hating Muslims (because mob in Dadri was a Hindu mob and Hindu mob represents mentality of majority of Hindus) and creating terror in Muslims’ hearts so that relevance of the likes of Sardesais remains in the society. But you are exposed now.
You wrote –
I will concede that Dadri is closer to most so-called national TV studios, and if it had happened at a distant spot, it might have attracted lesser attention
So what about the case of forceful sex-slavery of 2 poor Nepali Hindu women by a Saudi diplomat and his friends last month? The Saudi Embassy and Gurgaon residence of the diplomat are both quicker to reach from your TV studio than Dadri.
Do you want to blame it on traffic jams in Delhi? Is it that it would have risks and undocumented losses that you cannot afford to bear? Or is it just a general hobby of enjoying bashing of Hindus?
It’s a classic case of “my Moodbidri versus your Dadri” as it has been of 1984 versus 2002 riots.
How many times have you cornered Congress leaders and Bhindranwale gang responsible for 1984 riots? How many times have you cornered conspirators of Godhra train burning? Your classic case of “my Post-Godhra versus your Godhra” too seems never-ending.
When no other excuse remains, the so-called liberal media is accused of being anti Hindu.
There is a reason why liberal media (so-called as per you) is accused of being anti Hindu.
- You questioned existence of Ram. You never had guts to question existence of Muhammad.
- You opposed beef-ban. You happily covered beef parties of JNU as protest against beef-ban. Your wife happily tweeted- “I ate beef, it was tasty”. You freely discussed rights of a beef-eating Hindu. But you could never discuss rights of a cartoonist Muslim to draw Muhammad’s cartoons. You could never cover ‘Draw Prophet’s Cartoons’ events. Your wife never tweeted- “I just drew Muhammad, it was so handsome”. All your free speech is for Hindu gods and beliefs. But when it comes to Islamic heroes and beliefs, your free speech gets stuck in your constipated stomach. Are you ‘allegedly’ funded by Jihadis or simply scared to death to take any panga with them?
This ludicrous persecution complex of those pseudo patriot Hindus who call themselves nationalists must end.
- I am a proud Hindu. I am nationalist. I love India. I respect all religions and hate cults. Anybody whose God considers me His/Her child irrespective of my faith is good. Anybody whose God will burn me in hell for my beliefs is demon. Shivaji is my hero. APJ Abdul Kalam is my hero. Abdul Hamid is my hero. This is what I believe. Am I real patriot Hindu or Pseudo? If I am real then fine. If I am not and your statement was for me, read 2.
- You have no business calling me names neither should you be lecturing what I should end. I told you why people like you are anti-Hindu. Hate me. I am not going to change. Live with it.
- This ridiculous fear-cum-greed complex of those pseudo liberal media persons who call themselves intellectuals must end.
Their spurious nationalism is based on hatred of the Mussalman and little else: it is an excuse to build a majoritarian India just as Islamic groups seek to use jihadi terror as a weapon of religious domination.
Your spurious journalism is based on ignorance, low IQ, fear of Jihadis, ‘alleged’ funding from terror-groups, and hatred of Hindus. You just want to equate the most dangerous Jihadi network that is banned worldwide to Hindu groups that operate with no charges of terrorism whatsoever.
The Bajrang Dal believes in violence as a response to the threat posed by minorities.
- How? Who told you this? Or are you dreaming? Any proofs? If Babu Bajrangi is the proof of Bajrang Dal’s violence then your street-fight with NRIs in USA would be the proof of entire media being hooligan and rabid. Tarun Tejpal’s sexual assault would be proof of entire media industry indulging in sexual-harassment of junior women.
- Remember the live telecast of police and SPG actions during Mumbai attacks in 2008? You were the anchor for entire program in CNN-IBN which was most crucial help provided to terrorists. Your live telecast enabled terrorists to track all movement against them and inflict maximum casualty on innocents. By your logic, you (and media persons like you) believe (and act) to support terrorists in their terror attacks in all possible means.
- The ruckus raised by you and your wife over beef caused communal disharmony by instigating religious sentiments. So it means, you, your wife and other media persons like you believe in flaring communal hatred to cause killings and riots.
- Any words for those pseudo-minorities? How many open letters have you written for those pseudo-minorities that pose threat to the nation?
How different is it then from Islamic groups that espouse terror as an act of revenge? And are we now going to make cow slaughter the latest weapon in a campaign of terror against minorities as a Pakistan does with blasphemy laws against their minorities?
- Now again very cleverly you played your tricks! You want to establish that Islamic groups spread terror as reaction to something wrong done previously to them! How long will you keep misleading the world? Why did Qasim, Ghori, Ghazni, Babur, Abdali etc attack India? Why did they behead in millions and raped every woman they came across? Why did Jinnah and his goons murder India in 1947? Why did Qasab attack Mumbai? Why did Bin Laden want to destroy India? Why do all Islamists want to do Ghazwa e Hind (conquest of India)? Out of some reaction? Did Indians harm them ever?
- And if Jihadis are preparing for an all out war- Ghazwa against India, Shivaji and Rana Pratap are bound to come. Don’t cry.
- If beef is banned by law, its eaters would be punished by law. India is not Pakistan. BTW, I am yet to see a vocal opposition of idea, ideology and philosophy behind Pakistan from you. Do it if you have guts.
The only real answer then is to keep the law above the Hindu-Muslim identity question and focus on citizenship.
So when are you writing an open letter to Muslims of India to shun their Personal (Sharia) Law that suppresses women under barbaric polygamy, triple Talaq and Halala laws? When are you demanding Government of India to bring Uniform Civil Code?
The killers of Akhlaq and Poojary must receive the severest possible punishment under the law. Nothing else matters.
Nothing else matters? Isn’t it like analysing both Lakhani chappals and Bata shoes thrashing of yours in US for hours and then at the end saying- both are footwear, nothing else matters! Why does it not matter that you refuse to give coverage to one murder but make another the prime lament for days on your channel? When final judgment is same for both, why not your anguish? Why does it not matter that your irresponsible media coverage emboldened the terrorist elements to kill Poojary. They ‘allegedly’ knew that even if they kill, you will support them by keeping silent and writing silly open letters. And blame the victim instead of killers.
This isn’t about Dadri versus Moodbidri. It’s about creating a society that is tolerant, plural, but most importantly, respects the rule of law and treats all equally before it.
I have an idea! If you state the following points of truly liberal and equal merits in your next open letter, I will be siding with you and withdraw this closure!
- I encourage beef-parties. I will encourage cartoon parties too.
- I will spearhead the movement for removing ban on Satanic Verses, Lajja, The True Furqan, and Rangila Rasool, just as I bark so much against ban on beef.
- If I am sensible enough to not organize/cover cartoon parties as it hurts minority sentiments, I will stay away from encouraging/covering beef/pro-beef discussions.
- Hindus and Muslims are equal. Women and men are equal. No Hindu or Muslim man should be given right to marry 2/3/4 women at a time or divorce them unilaterally by simply saying Talaq Talaq Talaq.
- If I can debate on Ram’s existence and Ram Janma bhoomi, I can also debate on Muhammad’s existence and Muhammad’s Janma Bhoomi. And I will.
- As I am more concerned about religious hate than anything else, I will cover stories of Kashmiri Hindu/Sikhs, Pakistani Hindu/Sikh/Christian/Ahmadi and Saudi Non Muslims also.
- I will ask world community that while Muslims in India (officially) increased from 9% to 15% from 1961 to 2011, Hindus in Pakistan decreased from 19% to 1%. I will start taking up real minority rights issues involving ethnic cleansing etc.
- Just like I hate Babu Bajrangi, his Bajrang Dal, their literature and role models, I will hate ISIS, Al Qaeda, Lashkar e Taiba, Jaish e Muhammad, their literature and role models and expose them in public.
- I love equality. I will organize book burning events for those books that contain hatred for non believers. At least I will criticize the books that have hell and separate laws for people of other faiths.
- All religions need reforms. And I will expose them in proportion of their impact on world. More violence/rapes/bomb blasts/beheadings in name of a religion, more will be my criticism.
- I will not do moral-policing in future. Either I will go to court against someone with evidence or will keep mum. I will never abuse someone who gave his life fighting criminals.
With this, we close the discussion.
Vashi and Sanjeev
Disclaimer: This is a creative fiction as per Disclaimer. Please agree to the Disclaimer before you read this article. If you read Disclaimer after reading the article, and do not agree to Disclaimer, forget whatever you read. If you cannot forget, go to a psychiatrist. But do not consider the comment section as a toilet.
Vashi Sharma is a respected energy scientist with numerous international level publications. He is a doctorate from IIT Bombay and a scientist with Ministry of New & Renewable Energy. He teaches at NIT Jaipur. He is an expert in concentrator optics and works in domain of optimal utilization of solar energy.
Sanjeev Newar is a data scientist by profession. His risk management products have been named in top 20 of world for 2014 and 2015. He is the only Indian (and Asian) to have ever made to this list. He has been behind several inclusive and encompassing innovations. He is a mentor to several eminent young scientists of country. Sanjeev is an alumnus of IIT Guwahati and IIM Calcutta.