After having a glimpse of Ishwar, soul and our relationship, we shall now review how the world or universe is created and destroyed. This would be essential to understand our role and purpose better. We start with some mantras from Vedas:
O Humans! Ishwar creates, maintains and destroys the universe again and again. He is the master of the universe, He is present everywhere and He controls the world. Consider Him alone as worth being worshipped and none else.
Before this creation, everything was in dark like night and nothing was perceivable. Matter/ Energy or Nature was in its primordial or elementary form and restricted to a point compared to the infinite expanse of Ishwar. Then Ishwar created the impulse that transformed the Nature into the spatial world that we observe through His omnipotence.
The foundation of all the cosmic bodies that glow and all heavenly bodies that we observe is One and only One master of All, the beloved Ishwar. He existed even before the world existed and He then created the Sun, the earth and everything else. May we surrender and worship only that kind Ishwar alone and none else.
He alone is the perfect and complete Purush (living entity), He is immortal and guardian of all souls and Nature. He is different from the inert (lifeless) Nature as well as the souls. He alone has created as well as will create the world in past, present and future. Thank you very much, Ishwar!
Q: Who created the world? Ishwar or someone else?
A: Ishwar created the world in same manner as an engineer creates a machine. He is thus the ‘engineer’ of the world. But like engineer, He used existing ‘raw material’ or Nature (matter/ energy approximately) to create the world.
Q: Did Ishwar not create Nature as well?
A: No, Nature or ‘raw material’ is eternal (beginningless and endless) like Ishwar. Being eternal, there is no cause for origin or destruction of Ishwar or Nature.
Q: What else is eternal apart from Ishwar and Nature?
A: Guess yourself! You know that very well. Because that is what stays with you all the time.
Its ‘you’ yourself!
The third eternal entity is the Soul or Atma or Jeeva.
Q: What is the evidence from Vedas on the three eternal entities?
A: This is most intuitive and logical. You know yourself that you exist (The Soul). You know the inanimate world that exists all around you but is not you. This includes matter and energy – both of which remain conserved and only change form (Nature). And you know that everything is being controlled by an entity different from you (Ishwar). So this concept of three eternal entities (lets call it Trinity) is most basic and known by all of us intrinsically. Other theories demand us to make deliberate assumptions and extrapolations.
In Vedas, there are huge number of mantras that discuss this Trinity. In fact, almost ALL mantras assume trinity as obvious fact – They worship Ishwar, address Souls and guide or pray for effective use of Nature.
But we present here two mantras that focus on this more specifically:
Two living entities – Ishwar and Soul – remain together like friends always. Similarly another entity (Nature) exists like a tree with branches. One of the living entities – the soul – tastes the fruits on the branches. The other entity – Ishwar – is completely away from this and hence never gets into worldly things.
This clearly shows that these are three eternal entities. It also shows that Ishwar never takes birth as humans or incarnations because that would trap it into nature.
Ishwar gave his knowledge to its eternal subjects – souls – to utilize world (Nature) in best possible manner.
Similarly Shwetashwatar Upanishad 4.5 states that Nature, Soul and Ishwar are Eternal. These are the ultimate source or cause of world and there is no cause of these three causes. Soul gets entrapped by indulging in Nature. But Ishwar neither gets trapped nor ever indulges.
Q: What are the characteristics of Nature or Prakriti?
A: We have already discussed characteristics of Ishwar and Soul in earlier lessons. Let us briefly understand Nature here. We shall not get into complexities because this is a very deep subject. Putting broadly, the basic Nature is same and one. It remains so before creation begins. Then Ishwar segregates it into following:
Sattva – denoting purity or knowledge
Raja – denoting actions
Tama – denoting inactivity
The Sattva, Raja and Tama refer to impact it has on soul. These three, thus form the minutest components of the existing world. All objects, emotions, information etc have varying mixtures of these three. When we are in sleep, Tama is more prominent. When we seek actions, get angry etc, Raja is prominent. And when we are in peace, spiritual knowledge seeking mode, we are dominated by Sattva.
These components create Intellect, Ego, Mind, Sense Organs, Work Organs, 5 elements – Fire, Earth, Water, Air, Sky. All these then integrate perfectly with soul to create the world that we see, hear, feel, think, assess, evaluate and act upon.
Ishwar remains separate from this as an engineer – benevolent and detached.
Q: What are the requirements for creation?
1. The efficient cause (Nimitta Kaaran) whose activity makes something and whose inactivity does not make anything.
2. The material cause (Sadharan Kaaran) or the ‘raw material’ without which nothing can be made – Prakriti or Nature
3. The common cause (Upadan Kaaran) or the accessories helping in creation.
Efficient cause can be divided into two:
a. Major efficient cause or the engineer or the master architect who creates, manages and destroys – Ishwar
b. Minor efficient cause or the user of the creation – Souls. Without it, the creation is purposeless.
Material cause or Nature is inert non-living and hence incapable of being organized or disorganized itself in a planned manner. It needs an organizer or efficient cause for that.
Common cause includes the time and space.
This is true for any creation that happens in world – by Ishwar or by us.
Q: The way a spider creates a web from within itself, can’t Ishwar make the world from itself?
A: The example given is exactly what Ishwar does.But the conclusion is wrong.
Spider uses its body to create the web. The material for web creation is already present in its body. If its body was damaged, it would not have been able to make the web. Similarly, Ishwar creates world from Nature that already exists within Ishwar.
Q: But when Ishwar is all-powerful, can’t He make world from Himself? This world maybe illusionary form of Ishwar Himself.
1. All-powerful does not mean Ishwar will do anything. He will do only what He should do and He can do it without anyone’s support. Even you can do anything, but would you tear your clothes and eat mud only to prove that you are all-powerful? Such persons are termed lunatics and put in asylums.
Similarly, Ishwar being most intelligent does only what is the BEST.
2. Ishwar helps get rid of illusions. So Ishwar will not create illusions. That is against His nature.
3. If world is created from Ishwar, it should also show properties of Ishwar. For example, if I create a statue of clay, the statue exhibits properties of the clay. But world is inert and Ishwar is living. World is dumb and Ishwar is supremely intelligent. Ishwar is all-pervading, objects in world are limited in space. Ishwar is unchangeable, worldly objects keep changing.
4. Thus Ishwar decides to create the world for benefit of souls and uses eternal Nature for it.
Q: What was the purpose of Ishwar in creating the world?
Counter-question : What could have been His purpose in NOT creating the world?
Answer: Had He not created the world, He would have remained in bliss. And even the souls would have stayed away from jhamela (complexities) of pain and pleasure.
1. Such views are held only by the lazy or those who do not want to take responsibilities of their actions. Not by those who enjoy putting efforts and possess guts. The sensible and responsible ones enjoy life through best efforts.
2. The bliss in world is many times more than pains. Had that not been so, everyone would have been keen to commit suicide. But only the mentally disturbed commit suicide and rest would go to farthest extent to safeguard their lives. This proves that life is dearest to them and they enjoy life the most.
3. Ishwar is not lazy but the most active. Further His qualities like compassion, care, knowledge, omnipotence etc would have been useless if the world was not created. Thus Ishwar justifies His existence through creation, management and destruction of world or universe. We should also justify our existence by doing deeds that justify our role in the creation – to achieve salvation or ultimate bliss.
4. Just as eyes fulfill the purpose of seeing and are useless without anything to see in world, in same manner, all properties of Ishwar, Soul as well as Nature would be useless without creation, maintenance and destruction of universe in a cyclical manner as managed by Ishwar.
5. Thus creation is natural trait of Ishwar. And we should follow our own natural traits!
Q: Why does He not stop further creation and provide bliss directly to all souls forever?
A: This question is already answered by the discussions in previous points. However following additional points can also be made:
If Ishwar were to stop the process of creation now, how would he be able to justly provide for right fruits of actions of souls that they conducted in previous creations and till now? Thus, if Ishwar stops the process of creation, it would make Him unjust. Some souls would achieve salvation without due efforts compared to others.
Thus there is no permanent Hell or Heaven in Vedic system after one-off creation that makes a mockery of the unchangeable trait of justice inherent in Ishwar. Ishwar’s rule is based on complete meritocracy and there are no subsidies or concessions or shortcuts. All such cults who try to show incentives of such concessions are basically misled and should be immediately rejected by the wise.
Q: When Ishwar is omnipotent, why can’t He create the other root causes – Soul and Nature also?
1. We have already discussed several times that omnipotence does not mean Ishwar would act like a lunatic. Also it does not mean Ishwar can kill itself and create another Ishwar, become inert itself, become idiot, cry, weep, fight, criminal etc. Ishwar being most intelligent does only what is His natural Dharma or property and He does so in BEST possible manner because perfection is another Dharma or property of Ishwar. And He can conduct His acts WITHOUT support from any other entity. This is His omnipotence.
2. So Ishwar does not create Soul or Nature. They already exist. He manages them together so that the best interests of Soul be served. Further since Ishwar is already completely perfect, He can never bring a new thought or a new idea to create something new. Because there is nothing new for the all-intelligent. In other words, Ishwar does not evolve but stays perfect all the time. Some cults believe that suddenly Allah had a fit of inspiration and thought of a new creation implying that He has evolved suddenly from blankness. Such concepts are greatest insult to Ishwar who is always perfect. In other words, if Ishwar does something, it means He would do that always and has done that always.
3. Also, those who think that Souls are created by Ishwar actually transform Ishwar into a psychopathic drama lover who does useless things to entertain Himself. Further, if this happens, then whole creation becomes completely purposeless. Because He may tomorrow choose to destroy the souls as well.
4. Creation and other properties of Ishwar ONLY MAKE SENSE when Soul and Nature co-exist with Him always and then He helps the soul.
5. Just think of it. To be kind is a good virtue. But if there are no people in the world, on whom would you be kind? Now say you are being forced to live in isolation for a day. To show your kindness, would you create a doll and then show kindness to it? Indeed children do so. But if you do so as a mature person, people would suggest mental treatment for you. So just consider if the most intelligent person – Ishwar – can get into such psychiatric problem?
This is one of the greatest loopholes of superstitious cults like Islam and Christianity.
Q: Children of people with form also have form. If they were formless, even their children would have been formless. Since we have form, hence Ishwar must also have form.
A: He is ‘engineer’ of world and not ‘raw material’ of world. Alfred Nobel made Dynamite, that does not mean He looked like Dynamite!
‘Raw Material’ for world is Nature and that has property of form. Hence world has form.
Q: Can’t Ishwar act without a cause?
A: No. Because one that cannot exist cannot suddenly exist. For example, if someone says that I saw the marriage of child of a barren woman, you would say I am mad. Because if she has a child, she cannot be barren and if she is barren, she cannot have child. Similarly without a cause, no action or effect can happen. Every effect has to have a cause.
If someone says that I don’t exist but I came to meet you! There was no flower in the garden but the flower-garland was beautiful! I cannot speak, but I give spell-binding lectures! Such talks are meaningless!
Q: If everything has to have a cause, what is the cause of the cause?
A: The root cause can have no further cause. (Sankhya Darshan 1.67)
That is why it is called eternal cause.
Thus, three entities – Creator, Raw Material, Accessories and Purpose are essential for any sensible creation. Same is true for Creation of world and hence Ishwar, Soul and Nature are the three eternal root causes of this.
Q: It all started with Shunya or void (zero) and ultimately end in void (zero). Whatever exists was zero initially and become zero ultimately.
A: Shunya also refers to a point. If this meaning be taken, its correct. Because when entire world disintegrates and comes to elementary form, it is a point.
But if Shunya is to mean zero, this meaning is wrong. Because Shunya is inert and non-living. How can consciousness come in Shunya or zero.
Further, One who knows Shunya CANNOT be Shunya.
Thus those who give such void-logic are basically trying to run away from the realities of present that cannot be denied. Even extrapolation can happen only for events that exist. But such void-lovers deny whatever clearly exists and then extrapolate purely from their imaginations.
Such ostrich behavior of hiding the face from reality has caused severe damage to our society and world, if we glance in history. This has led to irresponsibility towards society. When invaders were attacking, believers of such ideologies refused to defend the nation by deluding themselves into thinking that it is all Shunya and hence they have no duties. ‘Shunyavaad’ is sure recipe for escapists and lazy ones. The dedicated ones would put their best efforts in any situation that they face.
Q: Something can come from nothingness also. For example, there is no tree in the seed. But after watering, tree comes from the seed.
A: Whatever comes out of seed was already in seed. Only it changed form after interacting with water etc. It does not come out from nothingness. People who have studied science will know that matter-energy is conserved and nothing can come out from nothingness. So this argument is wrong and unscientific.
Q: Nothing is permanent. Everything is temporary. Whatever exists will get destroyed. Hence Soul, Ishwar, Nature also will get ultimately destroyed.
A: If everything is temporary, even destruction must be temporary. If whatever exists will get destroyed, even this destruction should get destroyed.
In reality, only form of physical entities changes. Nothing is neither created nor destroyed. Those who have studied science can understand this better.
Q: There is no creator of the creation. It happened automatically through random combination of matter.
A: If creation happens automatically, then how does destruction happen? And if destruction happens automatically, then how does creation happen. If both happen automatically, then how is the cycle and planning of order of creation and destruction managed?
If you say that when certain conditions exist, creation happens and when certain other conditions exist, then destruction happens, then you admit that there are sets of external conditions that force creation or destruction. Thus you admit, in a different language, that something governs the conditions when creation or destruction happens. In other words, you agree that someone ensures management of the laws or conditions of creation or destruction. This is what we call ‘Ishwar’. So you are saying the same thing in a different language because you have ‘allergy’ to use of word Ishwar for whatever reason.
To make a simple bicycle, you need to plan out make hundreds of components, extract metal from ores, then plan and design the bicycle. So what is the objection when we say that a great planning has gone behind such a complex and highly optimized world that we see?
Can you cite one single example where something got created automatically without it being created by someone?
Without Ishwar being the guide, there would be no way for non-living atoms to know that they have to come together in such manner from these places, ignite chemical reactions, integrate and then make something as complex like a simple leaf or a body organ like hand. Forget about machines like human brain whose working is not understood at all! And then we claim it all happened automatically! This is childish talk and nothing else.
Q: Does Ishwar create the same world every time or puts some variations?
A: Rigveda 10. 190.3 states that Ishwar creates similar Sun, Moon, Heavenly bodies and the world in previous creations and would do so in future as well.
This is obvious. Since Ishwar is most-intelligent and hence creation is a completely optimized process, there is only one best creation for all cycles and that is what Ishwar creates. Ishwar does not have a learning curve because he already knows everything.
However there are variations in each Creation because different souls have different baggage of past actions or sanskaars or tendencies causing them to have different levels of freedoms to act. Thus the same history will not repeat each time.
Q: But why such a big universe with so much of empty space and billions of heavenly bodies for such a small earth? What is the use of all these stars and planets?
A: These are vast from our standpoint but not Ishwar. Also earth is not the only place to have life. There are innumerable earths in universe and souls keep moving from one to another as per their deeds.
All these stars, suns etc are necessary for sustenance of life and process of creation-maintenance-destruction. That is why they are called ‘Vasu’ or entities that help support stay of souls. Nothing is a waste in this universe.
Q: Summarize the creation and destruction process.
A: As per Vedas,
1. Entire Nature exists in elementary form before creation. All souls (except those who have reached Mukti or salvation) remain unconscious.
2. Then Ishwar performs Ikshan or motivates a change in the Nature. This causes Nature to change from its elementary form to something more gross.
3. Gradually grosser forms like various objects are created. These include Mind, Ego, Senses, Work tendencies, Planets, Stars, Galaxies etc etc. All this happens in a gradual process as per unchangeable laws of Ishwar.
4. Once creation is complete, and necessary conditions for souls are created, souls are given birth in various species (as per the deeds of previous creation cycle) on various earths on various points of time.
5. Finally, human species is given birth. Several humans take birth in both genders as per Vedas and not one Adam-Eve as wrongly believed. They have different genetic makeups and hence can inter-marry. Thus we do not have to blame Allah or God for promoting incest or marriage between brothers and sisters during beginning of human civilization.
6. The most exalted of humans are gifted with knowledge of Vedas.
7. They then train other humans in Vedic wisdom and hence process of civilization begins.
8. Depending on actions, souls keep taking birth and death on various earths in various species in various environments.
9. Those souls who get rid of ignorance beyond a threshold level no more need to take birth because the purpose of birth is fulfilled for them. They achieve Mukti or Moksha or Salvation and enjoy bliss of Ishwar continuously for a long time equalling several creation and destruction cycles. We shall discuss this aspect later.
10. During the entire process, universe is gradually changing and moving further to destruction phase.
11. Finally process of destruction happens. The souls are unconscious during this stage. The destruction phase continues for some time that is known only by Ishwar or Mukta souls who have achieved salvation.
12. Finally new creation begins. Again the same process is repeated. And souls take birth as per fruits of the actions in last cycle of creation. The process continues like this.
13. This creation and destruction has been happening continuously like day and night since beginninglessness and would continue forever. This is eternal.
Q: How does Ishwar train humans in Vedas?
A: Through inspiration in hearts of the most deserving during inception of civilization. They then train others and create mechanisms for securing Vedas from tampering. Further Vedas being inherently within all souls, are thus preserved within all of us.
For more on this aspect, please review:
Q: If Ishwar has not created Soul and Nature and they co-exist with Him, why does He rule them? He should not have any rights over them. Is this not transgression of their personal rights?
A: Co-existence does not imply Ishwar should not rule them. Ruler and subject co-exist even in this world. Does that mean ruler should not rule them? Or should you refuse to use nature for your benefit because it existed even before you were born?
The objection should come only if Ishwar does it unjust manner like the God of Bible or Allah of Quran who are prone to moodiness, anger, fear, laziness, whims etc.
When the ruler is most perfect, and He ensures well-being of subject in most perfect manner and subject themselves have no capacity to rule, only a fool would prefer to turn a peaceful country into Somalia or Afghanistan.
But in the most just country of Ishwar, subject or souls have full freedom to do whatever they desire. And like in any meritocracy, they get the most deserving rewards or punishments for their actions, only for their own benefit. But unlike human rule where one has to wait for rewards to be announced, Ishwar does instant justice on ongoing basis. Also, in human rule, if someone harms someone else, punishment to criminal and compensation to victim happens after some time. This is also true for those superstitious cults who believe that Allah or God is simply testing us here like a mute idle spectator and then would do the justice later after destroying this world forever by sending us to some three-star Paradise or Hell. In Ishwar’s rule, there is no compensation because no one can harm anyone just like that. Further punishment starts being given right from moment of crime. Same goes for rewards.
Only fools would regret living in such a just and kind and prosperous and meritocratic kingdom of Ishwar!
Thank you Ishwar for everything! Kindly guide us so that we can put our best efforts to model our own country and the world in lines with your just kingdom. May we be able to throw away all forces of corruption, immorality and barbarism. May there be no impotent, cheater, corrupt, terrorist, thankless, anti-national in our country. And may we set the best examples of idealism depicting the virtues of character, compassion, justice, diligence, sincerity, commitment, confidence, unity and purposefulness that you exhibit!
Om Shantih Shantih Shantih Om!
This article is also available in Gujarati at http://agniveer.com/creation-hinduism-gu/
In memory of our brave soldiers & 40 martyrs of Pulwama terror attack, Agniveer is making its eBooks free until the attack is avenged by India. Paperback books have already been made available in minimum possible price. Simply click the below button (Tribute to our soldiers) and download the book directly from Google drive folder. Download as many books as you want, speared then far and wide, and help us break backbone of terrorists, extremists, fanatics and conversion nexus ready to takeover India.
If you want to purchase the book on normal price to support Agniveer, you can choose other options below.
If you wish to support Agniveer, please visit and make your valuable contribution http://agniveer.com/support/
About the book:
Find more than 170 answers from Hinduism on God, Karma, Creation Self and Salvation. It’s about finding mother's lap where all questions vanish...More info →