The recent ban on beef in Maharashtra has caused a huge uproar on social media. This ban is being hailed as a direct attack on their personal freedom.The argument is as follows:
“What I eat is my choice. Who is any government or moral police to dictate what I eat or do not eat? Will they ban spinach and lauki also tomorrow if I am offended? This is communal politics of right-winged Hindu fanatics and must be opposed.”On surface, it appears so reasonable and logical. But let us scratch the surface and explore how valid is this movement against Beef Ban.
0. The ban on cow slaughter and most cattle is already existing in majority of states of India. Were these beef lovers sleeping like Rip Van Winkle for last 68 years? What were they eating so far? Were they indulging in illegal activities? Why they did not show their beef love so far? Why they could not raise a movement against beef-ban in last near-seven decades?
1. No one has any problem with what you eat and what you do not. You are free to eat even from the commode in democracy. But the ban is not on eating. It is on killing of cattle. Now people like me have several objections to killing of cow (and cattle in general). If you can create beef in laboratory without killing my mother, I have absolutely no issues with you.
But if you want to kill my mother in name of democracy, then better explore that democracy in Somalia or ISIS zones.Your freedom to swing your arm ends where my nose begins.
2. Yes, it is true that for overwhelming majority of India, cow has sentimental values. They consider cow as mother. Their most popular God – Lord Krishna – is known as Gopal for his love for cows. On every occasion – birth, death, festival, happiness, sorrow – feeding and worshipping cow is considered a primary duty. There are multiple festivals dedicated primarily to cow. And this respect is extended to cattle in general. Bull is considered as companion of another revered God – Lord Shankar.
It does not matter whether you agree with this cow worship or not. But so far majority of Indians consider cow as mother, killing of cows cannot be acceptable.Think of it. Say I name an animal on your mother and slaughter it. I write name of a Hindu God, Prophet Muhammad or Jesus Christ on an animal and slaughter it. I desecrate a temple, mosque or church. Will you encourage this kind of behavior?
If yes, I will call you pervert. But that is besides the point. First dare to perform such acts as above, post videos of same on youtube, put your address in description and raise a movement to allow you such crazy behavior in name of democracy. Don’t have double standards in your apparent love for freedom.
If no, then slaughter of revered mother cow and associated cattle cannot be accepted in a country where cow is foundation of religious and cultural ethos of majority.
3. Don’t give the sick argument that cows and cattle are mistreated in the country. Don’t prove to me that most cow-sellers for beef production are Hindus. Hence ban on beef shows double standards.
If above is indeed the case, tell me instead, what you propose to do to help solve this problem. Reality is also that women are unsafe in many parts of country because of attitude of society. That does not mean having punishment for rape shows double standards. Your sick argument mirrors exactly the views of rapist in Nirbhaya case.
It does not matter what the religion of all beef-producers in India is. What matters is that killing of cattle is equivalent to abusing sentiments of majority and hence must be banned. The day people like you form majority of India and are comfortable posting youtube video of slaughtering an animal named after their mothers or religious figures, you can repeal the ban. Thankfully that is not the case today and hence beef-ban is justified.
4. It is true that even if there were no rational basis behind cattle-worship in Indian culture, still beef ban is justified on purely respect for sentiments of vast majority. But thankfully truth is that foundations of Indian culture are very rational and scientific. It is not out of jingoism that we consider India as lighthouse for entire world. It is because Indian culture stands on foundation of reason and science.
Coming to matter of cow and cattle worship:
– Cow is the most productive animal known in planet. It is a living factory cum hospital producing products of utility from its cow-dung, urine, milk, sweat and even breath. Its benefit to economy, environment, fuel generation and healthcare is parallel to none. When bombing a factory or place of productivity attracts penalty, why not cow?
– The environmental cost of beef production is highest of all livestock activities. Meat is the most polluting industry in world. And beef is most polluting of all meat producing industries.
– Water footprint of beef is highest of all food. Estimates range from 441 gallons to 12008 gallons of water per pound of beef. In comparison, rice and wheat are 50 to 100 times more efficient!! Forget about India, there is a global movement to sway people away from beef to ensure our future generations have water to drink and food to eat.
– Beef production is most inefficient use of fossil energy at an energy input to output ratio of 54:1.
Compare with chicken 4:1, pork 26:1, eggs 6:1. For Indian food grains, it is around 2:1. The implication is clear: When you eat beef instead of grains, 26 people go hungry to fulfill your so called “personal freedom of tongue indiscipline”.
Refer American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/3/660S.full . Also review http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/1997/08/us-could-feed-800-million-people-grain-livestock-eat
Here is another one: http://www.globalissues.org/article/240/beef
We shower our deepest respect to seers who formed foundations of Indian culture. They saw what world is repenting today for being too late to observe and act upon. We are proud of them.
5. If one demands permission to kill cow and cattle because of his “personal freedom to eat whatever he or she wants”, then they should first raise their voice against following:
– Ban on killing of national and endangered animals and birds in most civilized countries of world. (In India, you cannot poach lions and tigers. In USA, killing bald and golden eagle in banned through a Special Act. Just possessing feathers lead to heavy penalty. Killing will give you long prison time and hefty fine.)
– Ban on defacing and damaging heritage and protected buildings. Why certain buildings be considered so special after all? Why “freedom-lovers” do not have freedom to choose what buildings they decide to consider special?
– Ban on insulting and desecration of national symbols like flag.
– Ban on sale and carrying of unlicensed arms and weapon.
– Ban on roaming naked and having sex in public.
– Ban on mutual cannibalism with consent.
– Ban on sale and consumption of narcotics.
and so on….
The same gang of “liberals” who are crying foul on beef ban have never ever shown any solidarity with above or any other related aspect of personal freedom. Many bollywood celebrities are twitting against beef ban. Just few weeks ago, Shirin Devi – only woman editor of Urdu magazine – was fired, arrested and now forced to live in oblivion for publishing Charlie Hebdo cartoons in the magazine. She published them to criticize the cartoons. Yet she had to face unimaginable trauma. The issue made headlines, she hails from Mumbai, but no bollywood personality or beef-lover dared to stand up to defend her. No one dared to publish Charlie Hebdo cartoons on their own walls and tweets to show solidarity with “freedom of speech”.
This itself shows blatant double standards.
I challenge all “beef-lovers” to first show their solidarity with above bans and restrictions that pre-date beef-ban. Please explain your selective silence on these issues.
One celebrity porn-writer wrote that she is willing to face 5 years of jail to defend the right of beef-eaters in Maharashtra. Let her post Charlie Hebdo cartoons to defend write of publishers, let her publicly consume narcotics to defend the right of ecstasy-lovers, let her perform nude sex-acts in public to defend right of sex-maniacs and so on. But they will not do so. Simply because the risks are too high.
Insulting sentiments of peaceful majority of Indians is a harmless hobby instead. Because Indian majority will not retaliate unlike many other groups that is famed for putting a prize on your head.
6. In an enlightened democracy, there can never be absolute freedom. Because your freedom can invade in my zone of freedom. All matters of freedom and restrictions are bound by following:
– Collective wisdom of majority that is witnessed through election process
– Responsibility and maturity with which one can use the freedom
– Respect for harmless sentiments of public. Your freedom ends where it restricts my freedom.
In case of beef ban, that happened through a democratic and legal manner. The government that brought this legislation made their intentions very clear in their election manifesto. They went to voters on plank of stopping beef production. Voters gave them their support and allowed them to proceed on this legally. Now, if they do not fulfill the promise made to voters, that would amount to cheating. Instead the government decided to follow path of honesty, show respect to process of democracy and fulfill aspirations of people who voted for them.
If someone has objections to democracy, he better relocate to jungles where every animal has full freedom to do whatever it wants. And not complain because a government fulfilled its promise to public.
7. What these protestors are saying actually is:
“ I don’t care if she is your mother. I don’t care if it destroys the environment. I don’t care if it results in 30 hungry people who die. I don’t care if it results in 20 thirsty dead. I don’t care about culture, economy, environment, poor, sentiments…nothing. I don’t care about law and democracy. I just care about taste of my tongue. If I enjoy eating your mother – living or dead – let me have that even if it is against law. That is my fundamental right.”
This is exactly the way ISIS terrorists think, rapists think, psychopaths think, criminals think. It only proves something else – that even love for beef has such brutal effect on Indian brains. Only God can imagine its impact when consumed. That is why Gandhi equated cow-protection with Swarajya.
8. Another lame argument given is that banning beef will lead to unemployment of people in this industry. This is inhuman. This is again double standards. Why suddenly this selective love for other people? If you are so sensitive to others, why ignore sensitivities of vast majority, poverty caused due to beef, hunger caused due to beef.
This lame argument can be used for any legal or illegal industry. Banning illegal firearms, illegal liquor, narcotics, opium production will all lead to unemployment of some people. After all there is no industry that functions without people. Even fighting against ISIS, Al Qaeda, Boko Haram and other terror groups will render many terrorists unemployed! Should we then start promoting terrorism also as a career option instead?
Clearly, all this is mindset of sociopath – for whom self-indulgence supersedes social responsibility.
9. Those who will be displaced by ban on beef industry are free to move to other legal industries. If beef producers start using same resources for grain production, they can cater to 30 to 100 times bigger market. There will be more prosperity and employment. And environment will also thank them.
Instead of crying hoarse over beef ban, beef-lovers should instead propose alternatives for adoption of people in beef-industry in other worthwhile industries. If you have money and commitment to even go to jail, why not allocate some funds for rehabilitation of these people? Why demand legalization of terrorism in name of safeguarding careers of terrorists?
10. Don’t impose your moral policing on me. Don’t tell me why I should not worship cow as mother. Don’t ridicule me for electing a government that promises to respect my sentiments for cattle, eliminate hunger, protect environment and reduce poverty. Don’t threaten me that you would take law in your hands and insult my sentiments for your taste-buds. All this amounts to fanaticism as displayed by ISIS and moral brigade. And if you do so, be prepared to be repaid in same currency.
11. If you are indeed so passionate about “freedom and liberty”, raise voice on more pertinent issues instead of justifying insult of mother, damage of environment and promotion of hunger. Raise voice for uniform civil code to give equal rights to all women of all communities. Raise voice for Shirin Devi who cannot even move in public because she published Charlie Hebdo cartoons. Raise voice for mute animals whose right to live is jeopardized because of taste-buds of others. Raise voice for hundreds of more pertinent issues than your obsession to eat my mother.
12. Another silly argument given by many mentally deprived beef-lovers is as follows: “I worship lauki and potato. Eating them hurts my religious sentiments. So ban them also.”
Here is the answer:
Yes you have right to get them banned. Follow the following steps:
– First of all, stop eating lauki, potato, roti, pulses – whatever hurts your sentiments.
– Next, form an association of like-minded people who share your worship of potato.
– Third, stand in elections, prepare election manifesto that clearly states your commitment to ban potato, pulses blah blah. Feel free to put death sentence as punishment for potato eaters.
– Fourth, win the elections, prepare a bill, have it passed in assembly to make an act.
– Now thank your voters and be happy. 🙂
– If I eat potato after that, lawfully hang me to death.
This is the democratic process India believes in. Everyone is encouraged to respect and adopt it. But if democracy is not your cup of tea, I recommend asylum in Somalia or ISIS territories. Or jungles of Africa.
13. A large number of beef-lovers are threatening to violate the law and satisfy their cravings. Some say, if beef roams in night and gets eaten, its their fault. One porn-writer says she will eat beef even if she has to go jail for this. Here is our response:
Don’t act like terrorists. By this logic, you can also defend eating children in isolated streets. This is psychopath mindset.
Further, if you have right to violate law to claim your “personal freedom” of eating my mother, then I also have right to violate law and thrash you for attempting to attack my mother. In other words, don’t complain if illegal beef-activists are brought in control through illegal means by cow-worshippers. So respect law. Don’t promote anarchy.
14. Another breed of beef-lovers are calling this ban anti-democratic and unconstitutional.
What a joke! They forgot Civics lessons of school perhaps.
Ban on slaughter of cattle is clearly documented as a Directive Principle of State Policy in Part IV of Indian Constitution. It has been clearly stated that ” it shall be the duty of the State to apply these principles in
making laws.” (Para 37)
Para 48 states that: “The State shall endeavour to organise agriculture and animal husbandry on modern and scientific lines and shall, in particular, take steps for preserving and improving the breeds, and prohibiting the slaughter, of cows and calves and other milch and draught cattle.”
So what Maharashtra Government has done is strictly in lines of Constitution and in a constitutional manner. Those who have objections to it must accuse and abuse the Constitution and its makers instead of those people who respect and follow the Constitution. If you have fundamental issues with Indian Constitution, better relocate to another country. Because India will continue to run as per its Constitution and celebrate the Republic Day as a promise to abide by the Constitution.
Finally, I want to make clear that beef-ban in Maharashtra is just a beginning. We voted for the incumbent government for following points in their manifesto and speeches:
1. Complete ban on cow-slaughter across India
2. Construction of Ram temple in Ayodhya
3. Repeal of Article 370 from Jammu & Kashmir (to integrate it with rest of India)
4. Uniform Civil Code across all communities of India (including ban on polygamy, triple talaq for gender equality)
5. Asylum for minorities of Pakistan and Bangladesh and their rehabilitation in India
6. Promotion of Sanskrit – mother of all languages and culture of India
7. Hardline stance on illegal infiltration from across border and reversing the trend
These are the key points in which incumbent political party differs from rest of the parties. We have been successful in first step – to get them democratically elected. Now we shall push forth to make sure each of them is implemented as soon as possible, as comprehensively as possible, as honestly as possible and as strictly as possible. We will ensure government does not deviate from its promises under any circumstance.
Let beef-lovers and potato-lovers and culture-haters do whatever they can. We are resolved to counter them democratically, intellectually and legally. And if they resort to promotion of illegal means – directly and indirectly, then they lose right to complain when they face the same.
Hence, we appeal to them to stop this double standard and join Agniveer in fulfilling aspirations of millions in democratic manner.
If they do not, please note that we take pride in Veer Shivaji who risked his life to protect the cows. We take pride in Gandhi. And we take pride in our visionary culture that taught us ways to fight poverty, hunger, pollution and live with compassion. We shall protect and nurture it irrespective of anyone’s perverted fetish. And go to any extent for it.
Ye to sirf jhaanki hai…. (This is just a trailer….)