A new propaganda has become popular over last few months on “Scientific Errors in Hinduism” that is being pursued aggressively on internet sites, discussion groups and social networking sites. We have received more than 50 references to this propaganda through emails, comments and messages either in support of it or with a request to counter it. Simply type “Scientific Errors in Hinduism” and you shall get a huge number of results on this.
Initially we thought this to be a childish blabbering not worth being taken seriously. But going by the alarming rate of its propagation, and considering the average mental aptitude of those trying to demean Vedas to establish a medieval era book as the only escape for all human beings from a burning Hell to an amorous Paradise, we find it necessary to issue a rebuttal.
The original text comes in different variations but essentially provides a few mantras from Vedas and some other tall claims to showcase Hinduism as unscientific. We are attaching a sample copy for the complete set your reference here:
We shall review each of the claims of the document point by point We shall provide the original text of the document as ‘Anti-Hindu Claim’ and follow with our own comments. (We shall provide simple meanings of the mantras in question that would suffice the purpose of refuting the bogus claims. However please note that vedic mantras have extremely deep meanings that cannot be adequately represented here and requires mastery of the subjects).
Next time you come across this propaganda, simply copy paste from here.
Scientific Errors in Hinduism
1. Vedas say Earth is static!
a. Anti-Hindu Claim:
According to Vedas, the earth is static and this statement is repeated several times. The following are some of the examples:
Oh Man ! He who made the trembling earth static is Indra. (Rig Ved 2/12/12)
Actual translation: He who ensures that the sun with seven color bands that shines, the clouds that rain, air that circulates, water bodies that nourish us – all work in harmony to provide us life and vitality has been managed by Indra or the Ishwar who provides prosperity.
There is nothing about static earth in this mantra.
b. Anti-Hindu Claim:
The God who made the earth stable (Yajur Ved 32/6)
Unfortunately the scientist who wrote this could not distinguish between stable and static. Anything that moves or stays in equilibrium as per defined laws is stable and when there is an element of randomness or unpredictability it becomes unstable.Stability DOES NOT mean lack of motion.
By the way, this is a celebrated Mantra recited by Hindus daily and means: May we surrender all our actions and thoughts only to Him who has stabilized the sun and other illuminating bodies, the earth, the heavenly bodies and the entire universe solely for our happiness and who provides us ultimate bliss after Mukti or salvation.
Very clearly the mantra says that all heavenly bodies are stable include sun. Thus even by wildest stretch of “Heavenly”imagination one cannot bring such a ridiculous meaning to this mantra that implies earth as being static.
c. Anti-Hindu Claim:
Indra protects the wide earth which is immovable and has many forms (Atharv Ved 12/1/11)
This is the mantra from the famous Bhumi Sukta which forms the origin of the sense of love that patriots demonstrate for Dharti Mata. When one reads this Sukta today considering how our freedom fighters would die for this soil and often carrying this soil in hand till last breath, one cannot help getting his eyes wet with sense of gratitude towards those great legends whose debts we have to repay through our deeds.
The particular mantra means: O Earth, you provide me with great snow-capped mountains and hills, forests, farms, food, herbs and rains so that I am always happy, protected and nurtured. You provide me the support I need to live like a king.The next mantra continues – You are my mother, O Earth, and I am your son. You purify us and may we be able to repay your blessings through our noble actions.
What could be a better thought on love for mother earth! But perhaps patriotism and allegiance to soil is alien to Anti-Hindu mindsets. That is why this is so unscientific for them!
d. Anti-Hindu Claim:
Let us walk on the Wide and Static earth (Atharv Ved 12/1/17)
Actual meaning: “May we travel all around the earth that provides us prosperity, nutrition, medicines and supports us in a variety of ways.
The foolish Anti-Hindu just saw the word “Dhruva” and started imagining silly things. “Dhruva” means something that provides reliable support.
On contrary there are several mantras in Vedas that clearly discuss the movement of earth. Some examples:
Rig Veda 10.22.14
“This earth is devoid of hands and legs, yet it moves ahead. All the objects over the earth also move with it. It moves around the sun.
Rig Veda 10.149.1
“The sun has tied Earth and other planets through attraction and moves them around itself as if a trainer moves newly trained horses around itself holding their reins.”
Yajur Veda 33.43
“The sun moves in its own orbit in space taking along with itself the mortal bodies like earth through force of attraction.”
Rig Veda 1.35.9
“The sun moves in its own orbit but holding earth and other heavenly bodies in a manner that they do not collide with each other through force of attraction.
Rig Veda 1.164.13
“Sun moves in its orbit which itself is moving. Earth and other bodies move around sun due to force of attraction, because sun is heavier than them.
2. Vedas say sun moves around the earth
e. Anti-Hindu claim:
1. “Sun is full of light and knows all the human beings, so his horses take him to sky to look at the world” (Rig Ved 1/50/1)
Again this is a daily prayer mantra for Hindus. It actually means: The way rays of sun enable the world to see the sun, in same manner all noble people should propagate their goodness far and wide through good deeds and teachings.
There is no horse in this mantra nor it talks about sun moving around any earth.
f. Anti-Hindu claim:
2. “O, Bright sun, a chariot named harit with seven horses takes you to sky” (Rig Ved 1/50/8)
Actual meaning: “The way seven rays of sun carry its illumination across the world like horses of a chariot, in same manner you should understand seven kinds of Chhanda of Vedas.”
One can try to interpret this mantra to mean that sun moves. But then how would one explain rays as seven horses. Because rays emanate from all around the sun and not necessarily in the direction of sun’s motion only. Further, Vedas in any case do not deny that sun moves. In fact Vedas clearly state that sun also moves and there is no absolutely static body in universe. BUT THERE IS NO MENTION OF MOTION AROUND THE EARTH IN THIS OR ANY OTHER MANTRA. As per Vedas, sun has a different motion in its own orbit. (refer Rigveda 1.35.9)
g. Anti-Hindu claim:
3. “O, man, the sun who is most attractive, takes round of the earth, on his golden chariot through the sky and removes the darkness of the earth” (Yajur Ved 33/43)
Actual meaning: “The sun moves in its own orbit in space taking along with itself the mortal bodies like earth through force of attraction.”
This is exactly what happens in reality. Even the most basic text on astronomy would cover this subject. Actually Anti-Hindu texts have no notion of the concept of gravitational force causing Anti-Hindu scientists to raise a red-herring on this.
h. Anti-Hindu claim:
4. Vedas say The Bull has supported the Sky
“The Bull has supported the sky.” Yajur Ved: 4: 30
Classic case of “One burnt in rainy season seeing only green color”! The Anti-Hindu scientist simply saw the word “Vrishabh” and created yet another imagination by assuming it to mean a bull.
“Vrishabh” actually means an entity which is powerful, possessing high potentials or simply the best. It later came to mean the ‘bull’ also because the ‘bull’ is symbol of raw power. There is hardly any animal which can match the bull in power and speed. Even a lion not dare attack a bull from front.
The actual meaning of the mantra is: “O All Powerful Ishwar, you permeate all across the universe, create and nurture the earth, stabilize the sun, manage the heavenly bodies and sky and ensure like a righteous king that everything functions in correct manner. This is your inherent nature.”
i. Anti-Hindu claim:
“The Bull has supported the sky.” Yajur Ved: 14:5
This mantra does not have any word that can mean a bull. This is a mantra on duties of a wife. It states: “O wife! May you be pleasing to your husband and indulged in noble activities. May you be extremely intelligent and further your knowledge through study like the sun. May you provide bliss to everyone in same manner as the brilliant sun provides food, light and purity to all. May you please everyone in same manner as water satisfies all. May you promote knowledge all across.”
Indeed, an amazing mantra showing the Vedic respect for a woman. What can be a better example of women empowerment!
3. Miscellaneous allegations
j. Anti-Hindu claims and Agniveer response to rest of the article
The rest of this silly article provides references from Puranas on how Hinduism is unscientific. But Purans are not at all considered evidence in matter of Dharma. Only Vedas are considered divine and we have adequately demonstrated how stupid are the claims of Vedas being ‘unscientific’. As for Purans, they even contain descriptions of Muhammad Sahib, Akbar and Victoria showing that they continued to be written till 19th century, obviously under might of the incumbent rule. So we shall simply not dwell into exploring the references given. We however doubt that even there, these anti-Hindu scientists would have made the same kind of blunders like they did while proving Muhammad Sahib in Bhavishya Puran as a demon worthy of being punished! Refer Prophet in Bhavishya Puran.
Two additional points remains to be covered apart from the references from Puran. Let us review them:
k. Anti-Hindu claim:
7. Vedas / Puranas recommend looking directly into the sun with naked eye. The Vedas and Puranas say that all Hindus must pray to the sun god SURYA, and that if you look at the sun daily every morning with your naked eyes, your sight will improve. Accordingly many Hindus practise this act of worship; but instead of their eyesight improving, India is the country that has the most blind people in the world (2.5 million blind people and 9 million with corneal blindness). There is no scientific truth in sun worship, and on the contrary the scientist and doctors advise everyone not to look at the sun directly with the naked eye. Who is telling us the truth, the Scientists or the Hindu scriptures? You be the judge!
1. No references are given. Only a vague allegation.
2. Yes, it is a natural treatment of India for eyes by watching sunrise. There has been no a single case in world that has caused damage to eyesight because they watched a sunrise or sunset. Refer Solar observing and Eye Safety http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/vision/Galileo.html that provides references to several technical papers on this subject.
3. Damage to eyes happen when watching bright sun or eclipse. And Hindus rightfully strongly recommend staying away from gazing sun during those times.
4. The statistics on blindness in India is interesting. But can the Anti-Hindu scientist also provide details on how many of these blinds were Hindus and how many contracted blindness due to watching sunrise? Cataract is the prime cause for blindness in developing countries and not a single research cited sunrise watching as cause of blindness. Also the prevalence of blindness is slightly more in Pakistan compared to India. What religion do they follow? Refer WHO research on this.
l. Anti-Hindu claim:
8. Vedas say cow is holy and should be worshipped. (Brahmins add that cow dung ash has medicinal value). The Vedas say that the cow is holy and should be worshipped. These
Brahmins also claim that cow dung ash has medicinal value. Samples sent to a leading test laboratory in West Germany have proved this to be untrue.
1. Yes Vedas indeed emphatically state that cow is most precious to sensible human beings and those who kill cows for short-term taste of tongues are indeed among the dumbest. Because a living cow, even if sterile, produces more benefits for environment than a dead cow. Almost all outputs from a cow – milk, dung, urine – has a beneficial impact on environment and health. A smart community can sustain its powers through preservation of cows alone.
2. Kindly cite the name of lab which proved cow dung ash to be useless. Kindly do not provide vague references. By the way, West Germany ceases to exist since 1990! I recall how Zakir Naik also gives reference to research by some illiterate ‘farmer’ in California to justify Halal Meat. This shows the standards of the references of Anti-Hindu scientists! Refer Zakir Naik defends Halal Meat.
3. Cow dung has been proven to produce tremendous benefits including construction of bricks. There are at least 4 International Patents (US/ Europe) on cow urine that we are aware of. Simply search on google with ‘cow urine patent’.
4. Thus rightfully Hindus regard cow to be as important as mother.
Before concluding, let me assert a few points:
a. Science lies not only in scriptures of Hindus but even more so in the foundations of their culture. Even the most basic traditions, despite being polluted by superstitions and foreign impacts, are based on most scientific principles. Namaste with folded hands is scientific, bangles and ear-rings for women is scientific, drinking lots of water in early morning as Usha Paan is scientific, avoiding non-veg in pretext of some festival etc to extent possible is scientific, monogamy is scientific, considering all women except wife as equivalent to mother is scientific, encouraging children to ask questions is scientific, meditation is scientific, pranayam is scientific, desi vyayam is scientific, not eating together from same plate and avoiding exchange of saliva is scientific, washing hands several times with a separate soap and water after bowels is scientific, washing organs properly with water during bath to avoid needing circumcision merely to maintain hygiene is scientific etc etc.
b. Thus a typical educated Hindu is able to easily inculcate scientific spirit and rationalism and progress ahead.
c. Proof of the pudding is in the eating. There are around 50 countries in the world with Muslim majority, but almost all are dominated by fanatic rulers. Showcase how many renowned scientists have they produced, how many researchers, how many engineers of world repute? There has been ONLY ONE Muslim scientist worth being considered – the Nobel Prize winner Dr Abdus Salam of Pakistan. But he was thrown out of the country and declared Kafir because he was a Qadiyani. Thus no Zakir Naik would dare take his name even though he would shout a lot on how Islam in foundation of all science! When Dr Salam died in 1996, on his grave was inscribed “FIRST MUSLIM NOBEL LAUREATE”. But due to orders of government, the word MUSLIM was removed. It now reads “FIRST NOBEL LAUREATE”! There are other famed scientists like Dr Pervez Hoodbhoy and Dr APJ Abdul Kalam and indeed we are proud of them. And they also are proud of our ancient culture and history. They are thus noble Vedas followers and we our jewels. If their version of Islam be promoted instead of what neo-Wahabis are propagating, world would be a heaven.
The Islamic Pakistani scholar and writer Hasan Nisar exposes the intellectual capabilities of fanatic Muslim Ummat blatantly. He has repeatedly said that Muslim Ummat has not produced even a single intellectual from the centuries but still live in illusions of grandiose that never existed causing them to sink down and down.
Compare with Hindus. They are at top positions everywhere despite all odds. Right from inception of civilization, this culture has produced the most brilliant minds and continues till today. The reason obviously lies in the scientific foundations of the culture here.
Thus while a Pakistan is crumbling under its own weight after independence, India is surging ahead despite having a corrupt leadership and minority appeasement based mindset of its selfish leaders.
We strongly recommend those who have been brainwashed to hate non-Muslims and especially Hindus for most silly reasons to introspect on this. We suggest they review Science in Vedas to understand the right perspective on Vedas. Follow that with lots of material available on Science of Vedas on internet and the entire series on Vedas on Agniveer to get the right concepts of Vedas. And stop this hatred in name of religion which only makes one even more dumber!
Vedas clearly declare that either you can have hatred or intelligence but not both!
(I request visitors to help brainwashed anti-Hindus by providing them more info and links on Science in Hinduism and Vedas)
May the truth prevail!